PTA GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES Date: 01/16/2020
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- The minutes from the December 19, 2019 general meeting were read and approved.
- Future Parent Meeting: 2/25 at 8:40am, Creating Healthy Relationships with Media and Technology, presented by Michelle Lipkin, Executive Director National Association for Media Literacy and Education. https://namle.net
- February PTA meeting topic: 2/13 Safety presented by Brian Nelsen, NYPD 1st Precinct.
- Grading system has four categories: Exceeds- student performs 1 year above grade level, Meets- student performs at grade level, Approaching- student has not hit benchmark, but is getting there, Below- student not meeting expectations.
- Gradingsystemisthesameforallgrades,butcontentdiffers.Aone-sheet will be sent home explaining what “meets” looks like by grade level for reading. If students slip a benchmark, teachers should be reaching out to advise parents ahead of time.
MATH CURRICULUM PRESENTATION
- Focus is on the concept of reasoning and efficiency as strategies in addition to computations skills. Using reasoning to generalize. Increase depth and connection to build understanding as students progress to higher grades.
- Annual Appeal update: YTD $75,951. 35% of goal ($220,000). We are behind LY. Parent request for visibility to where the money goes, particularly for new Kindergarten parents.
- Spring Auction is April 4. Letters and emails have gone out. Solicitation Team needs volunteers. Christine Cole, head of food and beverage for event, needs donations of ingredients (i.e. lemons) vs. pizza.
- Need new chairs for next year’s auction.
1st VP REPORT
- WinterFairthisSaturday1/25.EventgearedtowardgradesK-3,butallare welcome. Volunteers needed, shifts are posted.
- Taste of Tribeca update: Corporate Sponsorship is needed. Donations of $1K – 50K, exposure via gift bags, comp tickets, activity booth, printed festival maps. If anyone has personal connections at key companies, please let chairs know.
- A motion to close the meeting was seconded and approved. The meeting ended at 10:07am.