PTA GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES
Time: 8:35 am
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- The minutes from the June 12, 2019 general meeting were read and approved.
- Welcome from Co-President Jen Redmond.
- The PTA Board members for the 2019-20 school year were introduced.
- The four primary annual fundraisers (Annual Appeal, Spring Auction, Taste of Tribeca, Friends & Fashion) were reviewed.
- The PTA budget funds are distributed toward: enrichment programs and staff development (60%), supplies (13%), administrative (14%) and professional development (13%).
- The PTA contributes approximately $1,000 per child to support PS234.
- The PTA has a new website ps234pta.com.
- The 2019-2020 budget is projected to be $600,000 with expenditures of $620,000. Net income is -$20,000 which may shift with fundraising events.
- There are approximately 640 students this year and the budget provides approximately $970 per student.
- Teachers College at Columbia University is the reading and writing curriculum being used this year.
- Metamorphosis is the math curriculum being used this year.
- Raising Race Conscious Children is an important staff development program for the year. There will be a workshop for families to share the learnings and help facilitate conversations at home.
- Diversity in children’s literature is a focus this year.
- Book of the Month Club will start with The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson, followed by The Lorax by Dr. Seuss.
- Global Climate Strike is Friday, September 20. Per the DOE policy, parents may sign out their children to attend a rally.
- There are two new science teachers this year, Becca and Shana, who will incorporate the environment into their work this year.
- PS234 was selected by the DOE as one of five school city wide to pilot a program called I READ. This early literacy program in Kindergarten uses the ICT model to support students with print based reading disabilities.
- Dana will host grade specific chats this year, more info to come.
- Three agenda items were discussed; procedure for non-emergency pick up changes, ID requirement for entering the building and minimizing disruption to classroom instruction with late arrivals or forgotten items from home.
1st VP REPORT
- Volunteers are always needed and sign up sheets were at the front of the room.
- Registration for the online registry was requested. The directory will be printed this year, with a goal of going paperless in the 2020-21 school year.
- Staff Wish List was discussed. Deadline extended to 9/25.
- October events were discussed. Picture Day 10/2, next PTA meeting 10/17, Fall Fest 10/19, Friends & Fashion 10/21-25, Halloween Bake Sale 10/30.
- Christine Cole discussed Taste of Tribeca. She will push for more volunteers from PS234 to meet the level of support from the PS150 parent body.
- A graphic designer is needed this year.
- Sponsorship is needed this year.
- A motion to close the meeting was seconded and approved. The meeting ended at 9:38am.